Mar 26, 2015

How to be Cool

Bonjour my amigos. Yes I am aware that I just used three different languages in the same sentence. But I'm kinda just cool like that. Are you cool like that? Well even if you're not this isn't about how you can be like you might infer from the title. This post is a bit like my other post How to Be Hot on hot cocoa. Because when I mean cool I mean the literal temperature, and when I think of cold things, I think of Ice Cream. I know the correlation of the tile to the post is a bit loose, but it's valid. And with spring fever in the air yummy icy sweetness is just the thing to kick off the season!

1. Homemade Ice-cream 
I know that just going to the store and buying it would be a lot easier but by makin' it at home you can have some fun and you can also make it just how you like. The very first thing that you need when making homemade Ice-cream is, well a way to freeze it. Using a snazzy commercial ice-cream maker is obviously the best way to go if you have one but if you don't never fear. By adding your mix to a small plastic bag (sealed well) then putting that in a larger bag filled with Ice and salt, a bit of shaking later and you'll be frozen.

Before you can freeze anything you need to make your mix, a classic ice-cream base is 3/4 cup white sugar, 2 1/4 cups milk, and one cup of cream. Just heat that mix till the sugar is dissolved and there is foam around the edge of the milk. Then take it off the heat and add in your flavorings. (this means like extracts and spices, do not add in mix ins such as chocolate chips yet.) Some of my favorite flavors are mint made with mint extract and green food coloring, chocolate make with cocoa powder and a pinch of cinnamon, and french vanilla made with vanilla extract and seeds from fresh vanilla beans. Chill this mix over night and then the next day either pop it into your ice cream maker or your plastic baggy for shaking and freezing. Once the mix comes to a soft serve texture you add your mix in's such s chocolate chips or marshmellows. You can either eat it just like that or let if freeze a bit longer for thicker consistency. V-walla! Deliciousness and all homemade.

2. Popsicle Part-ay 
These are my absolute favorite because they are super easy from scratch and are WAY healthier when you make them. To get started you are gonna need a popsicle pan, this (unlike and ice-cream machine) is a must. You can make it in small plastic cups with popsicle sticks but it's a bit harder.

Alright, to get started choose your favorite fruit. In my case I am going to use the example of watermelon and orange because they make the absolute most amazing popsicles. You need to either juice your fruit if it's citrice or chop it up. If you have whole pieces of fruit pop it into the blender and give it a couple of pulses. I prefer my mixture completely smooth with no chunks but my brother likes them so it's just up to you. Then add a table spoon or so of honey depending on the fruit you choose, water mellon and orange just needs a little bit, then add a table spoon or lemon juice for extra brightness and pulse one or two more times in the blender. Then if you want a smooth consistency strain the liquid into a bowl. Using a funnel put the mixture into your containers. At this point you can add some whole pieces of fruit to make them super pretty before you pop it in the freezer. It's best to wait over night to ensure they are frozen but if you can't do that wait at least four hours, and then you have a sweet treat that really isn't bad for you at all.
Frankly these were just photographed better than mine #sorrynotsorry (Photo Creds)

A fun thing to do if you have dogs is make then some popsicles too, you can just put some canned pumpkin (no spices) into a couple of popsicle molds and when they are done, you let your dog lick and bite away at them. Fun Fact: the pumpkin helps a dogs digestive system so if they are sick this is a great thing to help them feel better.

3. The Quicky 
If you haven't caught on the other two things take a while to freeze and make so that's why I've turned to the fastest chilly sweet I could think of. A SMOOOOOOOOOOOTHIE! Yes I know I've written about these before, but for good reason they are back. I'm not gonna go into detail on how to make a smoothie because I think that it's fairly strait forward and I trust my readers to have some basic knowledge. However I will give you my favorite flavor combo: Frozen raspberries, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, honey greek yogurt, orange juice, fresh basil, and fresh spinach for health and stuff. I promise it doesn't taste like gross vegetables even if it looks green. 

If you try out any of these very loose recipes let me know your favorite flavor combo and such. I think that you will have lots of fun creating and eating all of these cold creations, I know I will.

Blog ya later fellow quirks.

1 comment:

  1. THAT IS THE PRETTIEST PICTURE EVER AND NOW I AM SO HUNGRY THANKS A LOT

    ReplyDelete